French Gypsy dress

gypsy dress 1

Just a good steam press and the final hook & eye at the top of the zip to do.  So love this French Gypsy dress by Sew La Di Da, made for the monster from a light weight denim we found at Fabrics Galore.   I did make a calico toile first and with the alterations made on that, unpicked and used that as my pattern.

gypsy dress

I discovered just before I needed to insert the zip, that my machine does not have a concealed zip available – AHHH!


Managed to get the zip in, but think lapped zips may become my default method.  There was one minor change to the pattern, I used bias on the bottom of the sleeve.

gypsy dress sleeve detail

The denim was a little tricker to use as bias, overall am super happy with the result and the monster adores it!  So great all round.

gypsy dress bust alteration

The pattern works brilliantly, true sizing and the pattern instructions are easy to read, have photographs to help make things very clear.  If you haven’t tried a Sew La Di Da pattern do, they are a lovely British brand!  Have a wonderful Bank holiday weekend!


4 thoughts on “French Gypsy dress”

  1. I never use a concealed zip foot, I find I get better results just unrolling the teeth and stitching really close with the normal foot. Give it a try! The dress is lovely, your monster must be thrilled.


  2. Wow that’s gorgeous. I’d love to see it on. I used to love my gypsy tops as a child, the idea of a fitted gypsy dress is great. Such a good idea to use denim, unexpected but really works.


  3. That is lovely it has a real 70’s feel. I am also going to look at these, but for me as I am not sure the girls would wear it.


Comments are closed.